Monday, July 13, 2009

[TV] Nickelodeon IDs from the 1980s

Looking up random shit online can sometimes really bring together some crazy memories....on a late-night whim, I found this goldmine:




Fred/Alan IDs 1985-1991 from fredseibert on Vimeo.

Indeed. 3 minutes of high-quality Nickeloden ID's, from the mid-to-late 1980s. It's crazy to think that a quick flash of an orange logo, plus some distinctive doo-wop music can really take you back, but that's just the way the first kid's network clicked with me back in the day.

As a spry youngster, I distinctly remember keeping my eyes locked at the television, watching Nickelodeon intently, Mr. Wizard's World to be exact, waiting for it to be over, and for Finders Keepers to start.

As the years went on, I remember watching for the top of the half/hour, for the next show to begin, and for the next new ID to show up. There used to be a time when I'd intently record said identifications onto a VHS tape, because I knew one day I'd love to have a compilation video of Nickelodeon IDs. I'm not sure if that video still exists amongst my piles of VHS tapes anymore, but the next time I'm home, I may need to start digitizing.

The ID, when it comes to Nickelodeon, really defined the network. A random, 10-second clip of animation(sometimes live-action), declaring, one way or another, that you were tuned into Nickelodeon. For the first two decades of its existence, both MTV and Nick had this on lock. Catchy, memorable, and just plain weird IDs that defined the network.

Looking back on this, it's rather unfortunate that neither network does any of this kind of promotion, especially with Nickelodeon celebrating its 30th year as a cable network, you would think they would take these old clips out of mothballs, and play 'em, or at least throw old-schoolers such as myself a bone, and play some of their old programming for a one-time-only thing.

However, just because they(and MTV) haven't acknowledged how long they've been in the biz in a long time, I simply don't see it happening...but that's alright. Just having little pieces of nostalgia like this online is a nice throwback to the classic days of the station.

No comments: